Sunday, November 30, 2008

Obsession Or Fun?

With all the talk about scoring lots of coins, chasing MVP awards, and beating our competitors, I think maybe we lose sight of one of the major goals of playing online games: have fun! For those who are addicted, the competition itself becomes the fun, if there is fun in that world. For most players, though, I suspect that often we look at the coins, see that we are still short of max, but decide "I'd rather be somewhere else!"

Maybe ANYWHERE else, when Word Pop has just "cheated" you (or me) by dropping five tiles on the only column that has more than one tile in place, and claims the life was lost even though you (or I) can see that there was room for six tiles, and one spot is STILL empty.

Fortunately for me, my schedule is flexible enough to "walk away" for a while, perhaps to work on editing the HTML here or to recruit, and return later, when my anger has dissipated. Not everyone has that luxury, and maybe that is the time to say, "To heck (or whatever) with the max - I'm done for today!"

What do you think?

1 comment:

binkie523 said...

I agree. I love the challenge with the teams, but the aggrevation of the games not playing fair does cause my bloodpressure to take a hit and it is not worth that. Many days it is not fun for me and that is why I joined. So I am going to take some time off when I feel it necessary and try to remember the fun!!!